Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Storm


For our third client assignment, we were asked to photograph 'Wheels in Motion', and was given a quote from Tom Stoppard's play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead:   "Wheels have been set in motion, and they have their own pace, to which we are...condemned. Each move is dictated by the previous one - that is the meaning of order. "

This was all we are given, and were asked to interpret this however we wanted.  

I chose to photograph my friend, Jess Rinsky, the morning of hurricane Irene, twirling an umbrella while the storm blew the trees about.   I wanted to photograph her in a broken down area, a little post-apocalyptic-looking and foreboding. 

Jess is a doctoral candidate for Epidemiology at UNC. I had an idea that this portrait could accompany an imaginary article in a magazine about Jess and her work, studying environmental factors in infectious diseases, thus trying to stop the 'wheel' of disease that could be in motion.  

Thank you Jess for modeling in the storm!  You and your boots rocked it that day. 


Below is my lighting diagram for this shoot:

  


5 comments:

  1. You did a good job in your post processing work. I remembered the original picture, and you did a great improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot. I really feel like there is a story behind the shot. Really nice post work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the effect of the umbrella. Amazing job Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Molly Mullin, this shot is so awesome!! I love this idea, and the effect of the umbrella is stunning. Definitely feels like a storms about to roll in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!! Yeah - there WAS a storm about to roll in - actually it was right in the middle of the hurricane weather - My friend Jess is amazing for letting me photograph her during that. Crazy. Thanks again for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete